The beginnings of the Museum of Architecture collection constituted of architectural details from Wroclaw’s medieval buildings destroyed during the Second World War. Only a small part of the collection was inherited from the pre-war Silesian Museum of Artistic Crafts and Antiquities, which since 1928 was housed in the former Bernardine monastery that has been the seat of the Museum of Architecture until the present day.
In time, the collection grew by further exhibits from different eras, thanks to transfers from the Provincial and Municipal Conservator of Monuments, donations from individuals and regular purchases. Exhibits were also acquired through rescue excavations conducted in devastated or destined for demolition Wroclaw houses and ruined Silesian manors and palaces.
Today, next to the stone architectural details. the collection consists of the arts and crafts exhibits (including stained glass windows, furnaces, architectural ceramics and ceilings), wooden sculpture, a large collection of artwork from the Middle Ages to the twentieth century, numerous architectural designs, photographs, works of contemporary art, products of industrial design and models.